Total newbie question

Nov 15, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Hi!

I'm totally new in WinCE (i use Linux on all our boards), but i'd like to learn :)

Few questions :

- i've got the BSP from TI. It's a bunch of images, as far as i can see. Is source not requred for porting?

- What are the requred tools for development (aside from WinCE 6 R2)?

- Can you develop programs for WinCE with this tools?

Thanks in advance. I will try to run WinCE on beagle :)

Regards,

Matej

Nov 16, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Hi Matejg,

There seem to be two downloads from TI, one is just a set of demo images (bootloader, Xloader, CE Image), and the other contains all all the source. The second one (the one with source) is:

S1SDKOMAP 
DVSDK-OMAPWINCE-EA 

From memory once you install that you will find some zip files somewhere in the tree which you have to unzip and install under WINCE600 (read the txt files for exactly where).

You need to use Visual Studio 2005 (not 2008), but can't use the Express Edition. There is a trial version available from MS.

I have followed Joel's steps with a C3 beagleboard, and I also added all the latest updates. I installed them in the order listed on this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsembedded/ce/dd430902.aspx

(I went all the way and updated to R3, even though Joel's tests hadn't gone that far - seems to work for me).

I then installed the Windows Embedded CE 6.0 R3 Update Rollup:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=18a0bc2b-35ad-4b04-bf80-3eb701ceaa2b&displaylang=en

I didn't install any other QFEs.

One problem that I noticed is that the path that the TI software installs itself to is too long and causes an "Out of Buffer" error when compiling. I changed the name of the root directory under C:\WINCE600\Platforms to something shorted (I used TIBB)

I also used the Visual Studio build (after opening the .sln file) rather than the batch file methods documented by Joel to build the software - I guess its your choice. Also, I think there was a problem with the "Debug" build being too big for something (can't remember what exactly now), so I'm building everything as "Release".

I'm still learning myself, but thought these tips might help you get over the line.

Regards,

Mike

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:55 AM
Edited Nov 16, 2009 at 7:57 AM

Yeah for bringup I always use command line.

I was running R3 bits on my B7 last week.  So my documentation also applies to R3.  I had just installed the R3 update.

Matej regarding your questions:

There are two developer groups in WinCE development:

1.  BSP / board bring-up.  This target OAL specifics and drivers to enable the hardware.  For BSP development you need VS2005 + Platform Builder, and suitable BSP.

2.  Application developer - target agnostic.  Target devices could be CEPC, Device Emulator, TI_EVM3530, etc.  For application development you just need VS 2005/2008 and appropriate SDK.

Joel

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Hi!

Thank you for your answers - they were VERY helpful.

I've downloaded images only, so i've requested source now - my mistake.

I'll study your answers when i get the source. I hope that i will be able to learn WinCE fast. Does anybody know what's the status of copyrights (for example, can I make hardware and sell it with preloaded BSP?)

Thanks,

Matej

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:24 AM

> Does anybody know what's the status of copyrights (for example, can I make hardware and sell it with preloaded BSP?)

I would be interested to get a clear answer on this as well.

As far as Windows CE itself goes, I believe that once you go into production Microsoft requires you to pay ~$1000 for the tools (i.e. you can't use the demo tools to build a production image), and then $3 for each deployed device. (That's my understanding, but my knowledge may be out of date - please check).

I guess that's not too bad, considering the cost of other commercial RTOSs, but of course is infinitely more expensive than going the eLinux path. In theory we should get a better platform, and better support for the money. But in reality there is a much smaller community rallying around WinCE than there is for Linux.

But the BSP is a big unknown to me - the Licence Agreement that you agree to when installing the BSP specifically mentions that you do not have a licence to go into production with it. Whether thats solveable by paying TI, I don't know. Or is it something they won't even entertain because the BSP is actually designed for a different device - one that they manufacture. Anyone know?

It would be great if the community BSP at http://beagleboard.codeplex.com/ would get a bit more work - it looks to be all but abandoned. If I had the knowledge I'd be adding to it myself, but I'm just new to this as well. Maybe in a few months when I'm up to speed...

Mike

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:26 AM

If you're considering using this BSP with in a commercial product, then have your business folks query TI.

Personally my interests are performance numbers, and educational enablement.

Joel